Read our latest blog: Stihl product recall

Our history

George Thurlow set up in business in Stowmarket in 1875 as an oil merchant and engineer.

From these humble beginnings the Company moved into the supply of steam engines and threshing tackle to become one of the country’s leading distributors. From steam the company moved into agricultural machinery and is now one of the leading Massey-Ferguson distributors in Europe.

Because of our family history we have been able to retain many records and artefacts. A large number of the company’s archives have now been professionally catalogued and stored at the Records Office in Bury St Edmunds for safekeeping.

It is considered extremely rare to be able to produce the paperwork for every sale made by a Company going as far back as 1890. The Sales Ledgers are handwritten and we still receive letters from steam engine enthusiasts requesting sight of the reference made to their engine in these ledgers.

In 1968 our current Chairman, John Thurlow, took over the running of the business when his Father died and shortly after in 1970 George Thurlow & Sons Ltd merged with their neighbouring Massey-Ferguson dealer to create Thurlow Nunn Ltd. In 1982 Thurlow Nunn purchased a small interest in a Vauxhall garage in Stowmarket which became the starting point for Thurlow Nunn car dealerships. 1985 saw the merger with F A Standen Ltd and the company became known as Thurlow Nunn Standen Ltd.

2007 was an exciting year for the Agricultural Division with the purchase by the Group of eight acres of commercial land just outside of Ely in Cambridgeshire. On two acres of this site we built a new depot to house our Head Office and the Littleport depot (our two depots previously situated at Ely and Downham Market were amalgamated into one to form the Littleport depot).

We built a high-tech workshop which includes computerised oil supply, fume extraction system, internet access points on technicians benches and automated waste oil disposal. The branch also boasts a superb retail showroom and the benefits of modern office accommodation.

2012 was another year of expansion for the Agricultural Division, with the successful merger of the Norfolk franchises of Randell Norfolk Farm Machinery. This grew our agricultural branch network with the integration of these new branches in Norfolk.

We believe that this investment demonstrates the Company’s commitment to the future of agriculture.
Massey Ferguson MF35X Massey Ferguson MF35XIn the United Kingdom, the MF35 was launched on 1 October 1956 and was originally marketed as the Ferguson 35 (FE35).
The FE35 was a successor to the Ferguson TE20, which ceased production in the same year. Whilst the TE20 had been an all-grey tractor (earning it the nickname Little Grey Fergie), the FE35 had a grey shell and wheels, but a bronze finish for the body, leading to it becoming known as the "Gold Belly".
In 1957, after 73,655 units had been produced, the tractor was re-badged as the MF35, and the colour scheme was changed to red and grey. In 1959 Massey Ferguson purchased Perkins Engines, and began using a new diesel Perkins engine in the MF35. De Luxe models had a dual clutch, allowing the user to disengage the rear wheels while keeping the power take-off and hydraulic pump engaged.
On 8 November 1962 the company launched the MF35X, which had an increased power output and the additional "multi-power" system, which allowed the driver to shift up or down a gear ratio without using the clutch.
Although production in England reached over 45,000 units the following year, it ceased in 1964, when it was succeeded by the Massey Ferguson 135. Over its eight-year production run, 388,382 units were produced.
Massey Ferguson MF65 Massey Ferguson MF65As a direct consequence of Ford and Nuffield producing a 50hp tractor, Massey Ferguson needed to compete and the Coventry-built 65 started production in 1958, fitted with a Perkins 4.192 engine.

The Multi-Power specification was added in to tractors from 1962 when the Perkins A4-203 engine was fitted.

This tractor is the first MF65 sold by George Thurlow & Sons Ltd and has spent all of its life in Suffolk.

Year of manufacture: 1958
Made on Monday 19th May 1958 during the nightshift.
We understand that 90 tractors were made on that shift.
Massey Ferguson MF135 Massey Ferguson MF135The Massey Ferguson 135 (MF 135) was introduced in 1964 as part of the Massey Ferguson 100 series of world wide tractors to replace the ageing Massey Ferguson 35 that was a updated Ferguson FE-35 design from the 1940s.

The Massey Ferguson 100 series was introduced to be a world wide range to replace the former Massey-Harris and Ferguson tractors, many of which were still based on pre-war designs.

The basic design was still a development of the Ferguson design. It had a Perkins or Continental engine. The model was introduced in the USA, first built at MF's Detroit plant. The UK version was built at Coventry and was designed around the Perkins 3-cylinder engine. The design also moved to a 12 speed gearbox.

Rear lift: 1292kgs
Tractor weight: 1728kgs max
2WD
45.5 HP Perkins AD3.152 engine
Massey Ferguson MF65
Grey Fergie
Massey Harris
Massey Ferguson MF135